Child Psychologist Brooklyn
Child Behavioral Issues
I was a consultant for about 30 years to agencies that provided services to the developmentally disabled, autistic, as well as other children and adults with special needs. I did my PhD dissertation on children with ADHD. I have seen many children and adolescence in my private practice who have emotional and behavioral problems.
I am an expert in diagnosing and treating a wide range of difficult behavioral problems. I specialize in developing comprehensive treatment plans for individuals with challenging behaviors, including those with special needs. My diagnostic skills are excellent and I have often been asked to provide a second opinion in difficult cases.
I have a straight forward, easy to understand approach, and a sense of humor that helps to put parents and children at ease. I am popular as a college professor, and as leader of adult groups and parent training sessions that I presented over the years.
What is the Holistic Method?
It means that in evaluating your child, I am interested in and consider their history, environment and behavior. That is, I focus on everything, not just the problem behavior.
It sounds like an approach that one might expect to be used by all professionals, but because of the extra effort and expertise it requires, it is actually not commonly used.
My treatment plans are more effective and less disruptive because the solutions take into consideration all aspects of the person’s behavior, as well as his/her personality and environment. Also, accurate diagnosis and effective treatment is significantly more likely if there is a good understanding of how the problem behavior is related to the whole person.
Specific techniques and exercises are employed to affect specific results. You, as the parent/caretaker, will never leave a session without knowing, in detail, exactly what the “Plan” is and how you should proceed.
I practice Holistic Psychology the way it should be done. My techniques are those shown to be effective in the literature and through years of experience.
- To provide a comprehensive plan for resolving disruptive, difficult, and resistant behavioral problems.
- To educate, train and guide parents/caretakers so that they can be active participants in the treatment plan.
- To work with parents or caretakers to find answers that resolve problems effectively and quickly.
- My approach may be significantly different than what has been tried before.
- After an initial interview and evaluation, a comprehensive treatment plan will be developed.
- My behavior plans are comprehensive and are typically effective within days or weeks, not months.
- I train and guide parents and other caretakers in how to implement the behavior plan.
The following are some examples of the type of behavioral issues that have been presented to me over the years and that I have successfully treated:
- ADHD/ADD (adult and child), and all of the behavior problems associated with it (my doctoral dissertation was on the treatment of ADHD/ADD
- Behavioral difficulties presented by special needs children and adults, including those on the autism spectrum and the developmentally delayed
- Difficulty going to sleep and other sleep problems
- Poor academic performance such as math or reading problems
- Poor work performance
- Refusing to go to school
- Resistance to doing homework
- Poor eating habits
- Temper tantrums and anger
- Arguing and refusing to cooperate at home
- Difficulty getting along with peers or supervisors at work
- Behavior problems at school
- Self-abusive and/or aggressive behavior
- Obsessive/compulsive behavior
- Anxiety, including phobias, shyness and test anxiety
- Bipolar Disorder
Dr. Merny Schwartz is a dedicated and caring licensed clinical psychologist and certified school psychologist serving patients in Brooklyn, NY for more than 35 years.
Have Questions Before You Book On ZocDoc? Dr. Merny is Happy to Help!
A Warm and Inviting Environment
Our practice offers a warm and inviting environment for our patients to meet with Dr. Merny Schwarz. Our office is conveniently located off the B & Q subway lines in the Flatbush-Ditmas Park area of Brooklyn, NY.
Dr. Merny Schwartz, PhD